Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Monday, April 17, 2006

Day After Easter
I made it through my sister's Easter Breakfast Buffet. Prior to going, I pulled out my little dishes and bowls. In one dish I put a serving of two ounces of shrimp, with diced tomatoes, green onions and diced salmon. In a bowl I put mandarin oranges and topped it with a heaping tablespoon of cottage cheese. Covered the dishes with saran wrap. Grabbed my baby spoon. I was determined not indulge in whatever she was serving. Took extra cottage cheese and some canned pineapple chunk just in case in another container.

On the way to her house I stopped at the bakery and bought a custard pie, a chocolate dobash cake and a lilikoi (passion fruit) cake. I'm usually the aunty who brings the deserts and couple dozens of sugar glazed donuts. I had no desire to eat any of this stuff. I was determined to watch them eat it for me. It may be crazy, but I enjoy watchng others eat what I no longer can or want to eat. ( I've stopped doing this to my husband cause he has gained 20 pounds since my surgery.)

Well, when they started frying the eggs, sausage and so on, I started getting nauseated by the smell of the grease. It's amazing I now can so keenly smell grease. That immediately turned me off from the buffet. Though when my sister sat next to me, I longingly looked at her plate and memories of eating the sausage got to me and I asked her for a nibble. Took a nibble, and instantly the taste of grease hit me and thoughts of being "big" hit me and what happened the last time I tired eating meat, I spit it out. Just not worth it. Went back to eating my mandarin oranges and cottage cheese.

Well, bringing my own meal eliminated anyone trying to get me to eat anything else. No one had to be my food cop. And I brought what I enjoy eating so I had no problems of feeling that I was missing out on the buffet. One thing I am lucky about is that my family is supportive and they just so happy that I am not so sickly any more.

I actually wore a dress. That surprised them all. I felt pretty in the dress, haven't had that feeling for a long long time. Bought it marked down to $6.99 at Ross's. My sisters had me twirl around so that they could check me out from all angles. Had compliments galore. I felt myself sitting up straighter and smiling more. I even let them take a pciture of me, which ususally I refuse to have done.

Kept telling myself, "this is the new me" . I felt good about myself. I can get used to this. Such a wonderful feeling.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Holly said…

    good job meliss!

    i'm sure you looked gorgeous in the dress. and feeling confident and in control i'm betting you were positively beaming!

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Jessica6903 said…

    I'm so proud of you! Sounds like you are doing well.

     
  • At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a difference. Your face is so radiant in the after picture. I can't wait until you reach goal and show us all about it!

     
  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Melissa, you did soooo well! And, I know exactly what you mean about being repeled by the smell of grease. It makes my stomach turn! Congratulations on your successful Easter buffet (with your own, special buffet) and you looked fabulous in your dress!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home