Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Monday, April 03, 2006

MAY BE 75 or MORE?

My 75 year old dad goes to Walmart McDonalds to have his cup of coffee before walking 3-5 miles every morning at 7am. I have been meeting him there some mornings just to talk story since WLS. Each time he would see me walking towards him, he would make some comment about how I was losing weight. From my thinner face, to my shoulders and legs. This morning I went to meet him dressed in a pretty lavender/purplish layered long hippy type skirt and a sleeveless pullover blouse to match, wearing large dangling earrings and with my blingy purse on my shoulder.

Dad gave me the biggest smile and said, "You look real good. Boy, you have lost a lot of weight. My skinny daughter is back!

Now I still got about 100 pounds to go but from 5xxxL blouses I am now wearing 30/32 W and they are quite loose on me so I should go a size smaller and my skirt is a women's XL which in no way I would have been able to get down past my neck or up my thighs just 4 months ago.

Dad's big smile and sparkling eyes surely made me feel good. Dad is a healthy as can be, after all he walks every day rain or shine, goes bowling, walks his dog and watches what he eats. He was so concerned about my poor health prior to surgery. Just two years ago my mom passed away with complications from diabetes: congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, obesity, she had several strokes. He was very worried that I would not live long and leave this world too. He was very supportive of me when I made the decision to have this surgery though he was very worried. He has been one of my biggest cheerleaders since surgery.

Gave dad the biggest kiss, when we were done talking story, he headed off to do his walking, I grabbed a cart for my purse to ride on and zipped around Walmart with the biggest smile on my face.

I never thought I'd live to age 50, then 55, now I saying wow I get chance to live till 75 and beyond, look at dad, look at how healthy he is. I can do this. I can make it happen.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I bet that whipping around Walmart was made with light steps. It matters what are families think of us, and I'm so happy your father is supporting you. I bet you are going to have that other hundred off in no time.

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Yes, you absolutely can do it! You've come so far already and are doing so well!

     
  • At 11:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Meliss--It doesn't matter how old we get, we will always be daddy's little girl.

     
  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger Holly said…

    i look at my grandparents, in their 80's. smokers, drinkers, possessors of horrific cholesterol counts, and realize that i might yet live to be very, very, very old.

    a year ago that wasn't much on my mind. women weighing nearly 400 pounds don't make it to 80.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Nanci said…

    Meliss,

    I'm so glad you have your father there supporting you. It sounds like he is very proud of you and happy to see you getting healthier. Congratulations on how far you have come.

    I was concerned at first about having my surgery so late in life (I'm 50), but now I realize that I could have many, many more years and that I want and need them to be healthy ones. BTW, my father died at the tender age of 62 from obesity related complications.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home