Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Sharing Info on WLS
Went to the funeral of my girlfriend Keola. 45 years old. Teacher, writer, active in protecting and restoring our lands, culture and traditional life style. The pics I posted of the black sand beach of Punalu'u is where she was born and lived. Her house is literally on the beach, turtles lay their eggs in the sand at her doorstep. She died of a massive heart attack, she had complications of diabetes. She was about 400 pounds. I last saw and spoke to her about 6 months ago.
Could she have been saved if she had had WLS? I don'tknow.
At the funeral sat her brother Raymond, 50 years old. Weighing 411 pounds. He got a pass from the hospital to come to his sister's funeral. He looked horrible, all bloated, could barely walk clinging to a cane and breathing ever so hard. He took one look at me and asked me to sit with him and then proceeded to ask me what I did to lose weight. Why was my skin glowing and why did I look so healthy. I told him that I had WLS. He told me that his doctor suggested he did also but he was very afraid. I pulled out a piece of paper from my purse and drew a stomach and then what the surgeon did to my stomach. I then held his hand and talked and talked about my journey since surgery. He and his wife asked many questions. When we were done talking, Raymond said that on Monday he will talk to his doctor and contact my surgeon.
It may have not been destiny for me to have spoken to Keola, but I was there for Raymond.

I was also approached by my girlfriend Mililani who is a lawyer, a Hawaiian activist, works with the United Nations and various native Hawaiian entities. I am also a Hawaiian activist fighting for native rights. Anyway diabetes and obesity is the number one killer of native Hawaiians. I have been asked to speak at a Hawaiian Health Conference about my surgery and how it has changed my life for the better.

So from a sad funeral I am about to rejoin the human race and become active again in native Hawaiian issues especially health issues. I had to stop a few years ago because of my poor health. Now how am I going to do this from Texas? No problem, I am now closer to Washington DC and I also can do things with the Native American Indians.

Depressed? Not any more. I think I have found my purpose in the journey of my life after weight loss surgery.

Weight on date of surgery 12/02/05 : 349.7 pounds
Weight 03/24/06 : 285 pounds
Loss : 64.7 pounds

7 Comments:

  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    Meliss...you're doing such a good job with your physical and mental health. I'm so pleased that you have found how rewarding it is to help others with WLS. Just think, your friend that passed was only 45. I was almost 400 pounds when I decided to have my WLS, as I was sure that I wouldn't live to see 45. This is a huge reminder of what I used to be and what my fate may have been.
    Keep inspiring others!
    Kim

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Holly said…

    ah. what a painful situation. i hope raymond makes that call.

    and how exciting to get to speak at the hawaiian health conference! and finding a purpose, that's just wonderful.

     
  • At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sorry about your friend's death, but am excited that you are getting the opportunity to help so many people. Way to go.

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is easy to see how you have touched and inspired so many lives.... and so many more will now hear your word and hopefully realize that they, too, can help themselves and in turn help others as you surely have.

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Kaye Bailey said…

    Hi Meliss - - so sorry for your loss.

    So proud of you. I am just so proud. I'm kinda choked up so that's all I can say.

    Love ya!
    Kaye

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    When I read your post tonight,I cried twice. Once for the sorrow of losing your dear friend. It hurts so much when we lose someone and to lose someone due to health issues related to obesity really gets to me. More now than it ever has I think. I'm very, very sorry for your loss, Melissa.

    Then as I read on, I began to cry again--this time for joy at the triumph of your new purpose in life. I'm so moved and inspired that you've found this way of reaching out, and giving back. I predict that thousands will be saved because of your message of hope and triumph.

    Rock on, girlfriend! You move me...

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not every cloud means a storm....

    Meliss, sorry about your friend who passed on. But, from this, you have found a purpose...

    God Bless you!

    Regina

     

Post a Comment

<< Home