Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Monday, April 10, 2006

17 weeks post op

It's 17 weeks and 2 days post op but was too busy on Friday/Sat to go to the airlines to weigh myself. I know I could use another scale but this one has to be precise so what ever the numbers, it is the real McCoy and anyway lately I have been enjoying the cheers I have been getting by the workers there, as my weight has been going down. Now I practically run to that scale smiling.

Drum roll...................
Date of surgery 12/02/05: 349.7 pounds
Today 04/10/06 : 279 pounds
Goodbye forever to : 70.7 pounds

Decided to say goodbye to the pounds. When I say "loss or lost" sound like something I got to go find and I sure as hell don't want to find those 70 pounds again. I broke the 280 mark and I am so happy, kind of want to jump up and down kind of happy. Life is so good now. Have not been as healthy as I am for years. I find myself always smiling now. I actually also find myself looking people in the eye instead of looking all over trying to avoid being noticed. And now I don't mind looking into a mirror, yep the skin is all there but I am actually looking in the mirror now. Hated mirrors. Now it's "yep" that's me, the shrinking big grandma! Can't wait to get on that plane. The last time I went I was pushed to the baggage area in a supersize wheelchair, the face of my oldest son just broke my heart as it registered shock and concern as he walked towards me. This time I will be strutting down the gangway in a cute outfit. Just can't wait to see the faces of my children and grandchildren as they greet their thinner healthier mama/grandma.
Got a few more weeks of packing and fixing my house here in Hawaii. My niece and her hubby came over last night. I laughed as their four children under the age of six wiggled and giggled all over the house. They will be staying here. The four kids just bubbled in glee when I showed them their rooms which my sis and I had painted. One is Barney purplish colored and the other the aqua blue of Little Mermaid. I just can't believe that my sis (who used to assist her handyman husband till he passed away 10 months ago) and I, hammered, tiled, fixed the plumbing and painted the walls and all. Saved alot of money doing the work ourselves. Without having had WLS I would have never accomplished what I have done with the house since getting out of the hospital. I can now fix things around the house, no problem. The greatest thing about it all is that my sister and I had a lot of quality time together. We talk about her hubby and missing him, the future and so on. She is 10 years younger than me. I have been encouraging her to go back to school, which she is come September. She has two sons, one is 18 and the other 11. We also talk about not letting herself go and becoming as big as I was, after all we share those heart and diabetic genes. She has been a great support, always encouraging me to do what I got to do to be healthy.
Since I got my head together, things have been great. I am more at peace with myself. I am so happy with my decision to have WLS. I am so happy with this new me. I love my body, loose skin and all, and in just these few weeks, I wake up each morning eager to start the routine of taking care of this body of mine. Told myself that this is the only body I have that God gave me to live in. Without this body I will have nowhere to live. The greatest gift I could give myself is to malama "take care" myself.

Read this: Everytime you choose good healthy foods, you are choosing life, which is God's gift to you.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Holly said…

    a few weeks ago i spent spring break at my mom's house. my brother (9 years younger) was there and we talked off and on for several days. all day long. about any and everything. he doesn't do phonecalls or email so to really talk i have to be right there with him. then he is an open book.

    that time with him is so precious to me.

    strut your stuff grandma!

     
  • At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't wait for you to get settled. YOu are going to be on two adventures simulataneously: one to shed fat and the other to make a new life in a new place. I'm excited for you and a little envious. Have fun with your grandbabies and your son. It will nice to hear about his reactions to his new leaner mom. Keep up the strut, that's what life is all about, loving who you are and getting your comfort back, or comfort in yourself back.

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Jessica6903 said…

    I am so glad I found your blog -- I love reading your posts! It's obvious that you have inner peace. I'm so proud of you.

    I love the "Goodbye Forever..." that's so true!

    Take Care,
    Jessica

     

Post a Comment

<< Home