Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Fat People

Okay, now I find myself looking at fat people differently. I look at all the fat, the way they walk and how they dress and tell myself that is me, but soon will not be me. It's even worse when I see an obese person eating and their plate is filled with food and they are literally gulping it down. I can't believe I used to eat that way. I was killing myself with food just like they are. Can't believe that was me, too.

I'm feeling sorry for them cause I know how it is to be fat. I know the struggles. I know the self disgust. I know the hurt when kids point and say "look at the fat lady". All of a sudden where ever I go there's lots and lots of fat people. I never really noticed before or really took the time to look. I pray that I will still be compassionate and understanding to the challenges of overweight people when I reach my goal weight.

Let me not become like those who have looked at me in disgust, or snickered behind my back or said hurting things about my weight. Let me not forget what it is like to be obese. Goodness I hate that word obese.


Meliss

2 Comments:

  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    I've been feeling this too. When I see stories about the super morbidly obese on TV, my eyes fill with tears. I doubt after what we've gone through any of us will ever be able to forget what it was like to be a fat person. We're like survivors of some terrible disaster. Still kind of stunned, but as time passes we'll probably remember all kinds of stuff. Good post--very thought provoking.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Kaye Bailey said…

    I agree with Sandi - this is a very good thought provoking post. We are forced to make such an extreme behavioral change and then seeing our old self in others is painful. Melissa, you have a kind compassionate heart to notice this so soon.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Kaye

     

Post a Comment

<< Home