Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

4 days to WLS

Can not believe that I am down to 4 days before WLS.

Thanksgiving Day went well, had baked fish and shrimp besides turkey and the fixing, so ate mostly fish and shrimp and fresh greens salad. Little bit of cranberry, a taste of the candied yam, pumpkin pie, banana cream pie, then took a nice walk. I amazed myself, but I kept hearing Kim say it's okay, just walk ten minutes before and ten minutes after, well it worked. For once I had a Thanksgiving that I was not stuffed till I got sick for one or two days after.

I have been walking in the pool in the morning and walking at Home Depot at night. I am determined to be healthy for WLS. I live on the island of Hawaii and have to travel this coming Wednesday to the island of Oahu to have the surgery. Wednesday I get to visit the dietician who will give the scoops on what my meals need to be like after surgery, etc. Thursday I visit my endroconologist who will be monitoring my diabetes after the surgery, then later in the day I visit the surgeon for pre-op. Friday is surgery at 5 am. I never wake up at 5 am so that will be an experience in itself. I should be discharged come Monday.

From Monday 12/5 to 12/15, I'll be in Honolulu. I have to stay at the Hospital hotel and not come back to the island I live on till cleared by the surgeon. That is the pits cause I rather recover in my own home, but in case of any emergencies I have to stay in Honolulu. Thank goodness the hotel has a full kitchen so I'm taking my mini food processor and the hand held immersion blender that Kim suggested I get. I have two pretty little Japanese chawa mushi dishes and the little spoons in a pretty pink container. I've got a bunch of powder protein packets and an Igloo one quart insulated bottle. Now all I need to get in Honolulu are some Progresso soup, sugar free jello and popsicles and I am good to go.

I have a well meaning classmate who had beefed up his round about "don't do this surgery speechs", ended up with me telling him, "look I made up my mind and there's nothing you can say that will change my decision." He finally accepted things and has gathered 20 of my classmates for a "prayer team" for me. I am so very humbled. Prayers are powerful. Can't go wrong with a prayer team praying for you.

I'm ready for sugery. I am ready for a new healthier life.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger JUST JEN said…

    It's your final week! Keep your spirits up and stay focused on the future! You're just a few days away from your first tast of freedom from fat! i'll be thinking of you!

    Jen

     
  • At 7:41 AM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    I'm glad that Thanksgiving didn't leave you feeling sickly, but most of all you didn't feel deprived. Nothing worse than that! Keep walking to condition your heart and lungs. Follow your dieticians orders and you should be just dandy. These next few days will drag by and feel like an eternity for you. I found myself disinfecting my entire house so that it would be sparkling clean upon my return. A great form of exercise!
    Keep us posted and we'll all be thinking positive thoughts for you.
    Kim Stover

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Kaye Bailey said…

    Our thoughts are with you, Melissa! You are not alone!

    Best wishes,
    Kaye

     
  • At 5:37 AM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    So glad you posted Melissa--I was afraid that you wouldn't say anything before you left. I think of you every day. Just want to say that I'm amazed at how smoothly every thing is going for me, and I think with all the prep work you've done, it will go well for you too! Can't wait to hear from you on the "other side" of this thing. You're going to LOVE THE RESULTS!

    Best wishes and know that there are many of us keeping you in our prayers. I'm up and I'll be thinking of you on Friday morning.

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Blogger bye said…

    I linked to you via another blog. Good luck to you in your journey to good health.

    Can't beat a Hawaii recovery - I am jealous.

    I'm following close behind you with 12-13-05 cut and paste date.

     
  • At 5:45 AM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    Here YOU GO! GOOD LUCK TODAY AND GOD BLESS. WE'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU!!!!

     
  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    I now christen you Little Grandma! Now, where are you, how are you, what's going on? Are you home yet???? Please fill us in.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home