Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Sunday, November 20, 2005

12 days to WLS
Time is speeding by. Now I wish I had actually exercised for the past six months, ate healthy and all that. Now I am down to twelve days and my body aches from my two times a day walking but I am not stopping.
Walked in Walmart last night, stayed away from the food section, but I needed to get my glucose tablets. Bought myself some Take & Toss Infant Spoons less than $4, pretty colors, can wash or just toss away. Little bites, chew, chew, chew, right. Even checked out the baby foods section, haven't looked there for years so I was pleasantly surprised by the small portioned sizes available. I think I'll indulge in the fruits for the first couple weeks. My doctor has his patients quickly start with pureed foods after discharge from the hospital, so I have a small food processor I got for Xmas two years ago and thought my mom had lost her mind when she got it for me. My mom passed away a year and a half ago, I guess she knew I was going to need her gift one day. In Walmart they have a small blender that costs about $11.00, of course they were all out of it, I'll check for it again. The food processor and blender should be all I need for awhile. I have a small electric steamer which I will use to steam my vegies. Thanks to the encouraging advice received on this site and all that I read and keep rereading on Living After WLS, I have been able to be more positive about things. I no longer obsess about food and have been able to focus on a healthier way of living for myself.
I just keep telling myself that "if I don't take care of this body, I will have no place to live in" , can't get any more basic than that.
I have eaten my slice of pumpkin pie. Took Kim's Thanksgiving advice and walked before the slice of pie and walked after eating it. Will walk before Thanksgiving lunch and after.
I want to thank everyone who has sent their words of encouragement, words of advice, sharing your experiences........................priceless. From depression, doubt, second guessing myself, I am feeling quite confident and ready to start my life after WLS.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    Here is another tip...instead of a blender, pick up an emersion blender. One of those hand held things. I used mine for blending my protein shakes, pureeing soups, etc. Also, I stayed away from fruit for quite some time due to the sensitivity to sugar that I had...terrible dumping from the most pure no sugar added fruit items. I did alot of hand pureed vegetable soup (Progresso has some good ones). An ounce of pureed soup, an ounce of sugar free Jello and an ounce of sugar free yogurt. This was one of my favorite meals for quite some time!
    Kim Stover

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    Melissa, keep your spirits up you're almost there! I'm so happy for you that you're making this committement. I love reading your experiences! Mahalo.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Kaye Bailey said…

    Focusing on a healthy new life is really what this WLS is all about - a fresh start at treating your body, mind and soul well. Melissa, you are well on your way!

    Take care,
    Kaye

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    Melissa, how are you doing?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home