Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Monday, November 07, 2005

Twenty five days till WLS.

Got this tip from Kim:
Here is a tip for you to get ready for the months following your surgery. Buy some Dixie cups. The kind that you use in the bathroom for a quick sip of water. I used these as my disposable "dishes" after surgery. One little Dixie cup is about the size of your pouch. It seemed like such a waste to pull out a real plate or bowl. I also bought some little cheese/appetizer dishes. They are smaller than a salad plate and the perfect size for the new meals that you will be eating. A friend of mine gave me a silver baby spoon for an after surgery gift. I actually used that little spoon in the beginning to get used to taking small bites. Truly, the Dixie cups were very handy.

Great idea. All day I thought of my foods in dixie cup portions. And then I thought why not go out and get some pretty little dishes. Tiny Japanese oriental bowls, dishes and tea cups would be nice. You know how important the presentation of one's food is. No one said we can not have special dishes for our special meal.
And picking up those baby spoons may not be such a bad idea, they are pretty, and it will force me to eat small portions at a time.

Today I haven't been feeling too well. I've had the flu shot so I'm safe from the flu. I just want to get this surgery over and done with. This waiting is mind wrecking, all those what ifs. I've been reading alot of WLS blogs and some are very uplifting, some downright appalling. Got to pick what's uplifting and postiive to read.

I'm glad I'll be seeing my psych before and after surgery. Have so many things to sort in my mind. I am prone to worrying to much and I have the most vivid imagination ever.

I will look at these 25 days as an opportunity to do whatever it takes to be healthier for WLS. I will think positive. I will exercise. I will watch what I eat. I will be a thinnner, healthier me.

I will be able to buy some nice stylish clothes.
I will be able to sit in chairs and not worry about breaking them.
I will be able to walk between racks at the store and not knock things off the racks as I walk by.
I will be able to wear a bathingsuit and get rid of my 5xl shorts and t-shirt.
I will be able to put on the seat belt in the car and it will not be choking me.
No more belt extensions on the plane.
No more fat squeezed into the movie theatre seats.
No more having to go wait for the handicap stall cause I don't fit in the normal stall.
No more little kids pointing and saying look at that fat lady.

Hmmmmmmmmm, this is great listing things that will happen in the near future due to the miracle of WLS surgery.

Big Grandma there's a bright future within your grasp. You should be smiling that you can have this surgery.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Melissa!

    Just wanted to let you know that I am just shy of a full year out after having my WLS, and all of those things you have listed have come true for me. So, you are right on the money!!

    No seat belt extension on the plane just 5 months out!! No embarrassing questions from the airline employees about whether I was going to have a problem or not, and then telling me I could board with the parents with children and the handicapped!

    I had someone just the other day ask me how I ended up so "small" after they met my big, tall brothers. No one has ever referred to me as "small"!

    I think your ideas with the pretty dishes are great. And you are right, presentation is important.

    Best wishes to you.

    Terry

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Melissa, I just came across your blog and I still remember the anticipation of the days and weeks before wls. I am two months out now and 55 lbs down. Staying away from the sites that are scary. WLS has its upside and its downside. But once you have made the decision to have surgery, it is best to stick to the positive stories. Good luck to you!

    Claire

     

Post a Comment

<< Home