Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Saturday, December 24, 2005

320 pounds

My dad said my face lost it's chubbiness and soon he can hug me good. Dad's are wonderful. He's 75, walks his 10,000 plus steps every day, watches what he eats. Maybe I now get chance to live 75 and over now. My legs are skinny. I always looked like an ostrich, big tummy and skinny legs. But now these legs are even skinnier.

Thanks Kim I needed to hear that the feelings I am having are normal, this being in a daze. I trust that things will get better when I can believe I had WLS and this is not all a dream. This is for real.

Went out to breakfast with my husband this Christmas Eve morning. Ordered my favorite seafood omelet. When it was placed in front me, I couldn't get over how huge it was. Imagine I'ld swallow it all with a side of waffles. Asked for a takeout plate. Cut off 2 oz. of the omelet and the rest went into the bag. Instead of waffles I had ordered honeydew melon, left out 3 small pieces and the rest went into the bag. Mashed up the eggs and fish/shrimp with my fork and chew chew chewed like a good WLS post op should. Enjoyed my breakfast. Right now the takeout plate is in the fridge with enough food in it for at least 3-4 meals. Heh, I feel like a champ. I didn't deprive my husband of going out to eat because of my issues. All I got to do is focus and remember my way of eating is different now.

Went to the mall after breakfast to catch some Xmas sales. Bought myself a beautiful angel. I collect angels, but haven't bought myself one for a long time. Got tired though so had to get out of the crowds, had my trusty sippy bottle with me. At least I wasn't huffing and puffing and bumping into people.

Tomorrow is Christmas lunch with my sis, her family and dad. I usually go the mainland to be with my children and grandchildren. Not this year due to the surgery. There are a few Hawaiian and local dishes I can chew chew chew and not feel deprived. One thing about living in Hawaii at gatherings there is a mixture of all kinds of foods. Told myself I just want to be with the family, talk story and have fun. They are supportive of my WLS so I know I will be fine. They were so worried about me and my poor health that they all see WLS as a blessing for me. My sis is heading down the road with diabetes and stuff like I was and is now thinking of getting the surgery.

Mele Kalikimaka Merry Christmas
Hauoli Makahiki Hou Happy New Year

Meliss

1 Comments:

  • At 6:00 AM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    Sounds like you're living the life! I love the line where you describe the new family gathering, "I just want to be with the family, talk story and have fun." Your story is very inspiring to me. I picture you going to the airport for that final weigh in, and I think you are a very courageous woman. Now your sister is thinking of having the surgery, and your story may just help save her life. Way to go!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home