Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Friday, December 23, 2005

3 weeks post surgery

It's 3 weeks and I am still stunned and walking around in a sureal world. I think it's silly but I am kind of afraid that something will go wrong. Keep waiting for these stiches to burst, I guess. Trying to figure out why I deserved to make it through surgery, let alone recovering right now. Some have called me brave, I don't think I was brave. I just did it. And now trying to deal with my choice. It's just so unbelievable that my fat is melting away, I had tried and tried before and not one ounce would budge. I am still walking around in a daze.

Have to keep reading the LWLS site and site's like Sandi's just to reconfirm that I now am postop. Keep glancing at the stitches. Having problem getting the protein shake down and sipping sipping water. Like Sandi said it's a new routine, a new way of doing things, not impossible just got to find the routine that works for me.
It is just so wonderful that there is a slew of you who are doing very very well post op and even better to know that Anna is doing fine. Her story really put me in a spin of worry. I tend to be a worry wart and if I think too much I can really mess myself up. Got to concentrate on the positive side of WLS surgery.

My surgeon, John Balfour is 77 years old and looks like 55. He is the best surgeon for this procedure in Hawaii. Well, he has the years of experience. He told me that all I have to do is follow the rules, listen to the dietician and all will go well. He holds your hand and looks you straight in the eye as he speaks. You can't help but believe him. I entrusted him with my life. He did his part now I have to do mine.

I have been walking each morning this past week. I think I have been pushing it cause last night my tummy was tender and my back hurt. Can't over do it, not superwoman that's for sure. No problem with meals, so trying to get in as much protein in them since I having hard time with the shakes. My sis had me sip some of her Crystal Lite Tea, tasted good, so I'll add it to my water and see if the sipping gets better. Will nap today and maybe walk this evening. I do feel weak and tired and it's only 9:30 am.

This dazed sureal feeling, normal?
Meliss

2 Comments:

  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    Melissa,
    You asked if feeling dazed is "normal"...anything that you feel or experience is normal. They are your emotions, which make them VERY real. In the early stages, I found myself constantly wondering if I was losing a "normal" amount of weight...or is not having an appetite "normal". I had so many questions, wondering if I was "normal". So, it is very normal for you to wonder if you are "normal". Does that make sense? Don't worry about the statistics of others. If you are following the rules of your surgeon and dietician, then you are doing all that you can possibly do to make this a successful experience. Right now it's all about sipping and chewing. The little bits of exercise that you can get in may not increase your weight loss, but it IS developing a lifelong habit for you.

    You are going to be a slim and healthy Grandma next Christmas!
    Kim

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    Melissa, I love the way you described your surgeon--sounds like he was the guy you needed at the moment. This new life is scary and thrilling, isn't it? I can't believe the weight loss, the way my body is shrinking, but getting used to eating this way is a challenge, for sure. Don't forget that the water you use to mix up the protein shakes counts as part of your daily water too. I'm having a hard time with my shakes too. I make myself get that baby down the first thing in the morning. I know if I wait, I won't finish it.

    One day at a time. That's how I gotta take it. Hope you're getting photos of yourself shrinking. It's happening so fast, you'll want those later on.

    Happy Christmas to you. We're about to make and keep the mother of all New Year's Resolutions! I can hardly wait.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home