Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Friday, December 16, 2005

Post OP 14 days

I am finally home from Honolulu. These past two weeks have been sureal. Still in kind of a daze, maybe sleeping in my own bed for a few more days will make this all seem real. I am post op, I have joined the WLS sisterhood.

349.7 day of surgery. 327 today. Miracle of miracles. Worth every minute of apprehension, panic attacks and off the wall crazy thoughts prior to surgery. Surgery not a piece of cake, but manageable. Peeking at my surgery scar every chance I get just to make sure I really did it. Staples came out yesterday, things looking just fine.

At meal times, I pull out my pretty tiny Japanese dishes and baby spoon. I have been using those tiny 1 oz. plastic cups to measure out my food. You can really stuff alot into those cups............smile. Pureed foods, chicken, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, egg, pureed progresso soup and some local dishes like Chicken Papaya Stew. I've been doing okay. Taking it slow. Sipping, sipping, sipping. I water down the protein drinks so get some extra fluid from there too. Tried Baby Food fruit, can't stand them, so it's applesause and globe grapes. I actually peel the grape, take the seeds out and chew chew chew. A nice sweet treat.

I have been walking a little each day. I get all clammy and sweat buckets if I over do it. My diabetes still adjusting itself. I am popping glucose tabs like m & m's, have to montior myself constantly. I'm not complaining believe me after ten years of insulin shots, a miracle is taking place in my body. My endroconologist is very elated. From 120 units of Lantus and 3-4 shots of 70-80 units of Humulog a day, I now take 60 units of Lantus at night and that is it. From uncontrolled insulin dependent diabetic, I am going to be inuslin free soon. This surgery is a miracle for diabetics.

Thank you all for the get well wishes and prayers. Napping is high priority between sipping. Smile.
Meliss

1 Comments:

  • At 7:11 PM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    YEEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAA!!!! WOOOOOOWWWEEEEEEEEE YOU'RE HOME AT LAST, HOME AT LAST, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY YOU'RE HOME AT LAST! I've been watching for you every day, hoping that you might come home early, but it sounds like it was worth the wait--your're doing fabulously! Congrats, sister! I know it's so weird. Sometimes I don't believe the surgeon really did it.

    Keep up the great work Melissa. I'm watching your blog, want to hear it all.

    So glad to see you're back!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home