Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Horrors of Swallowing a Cough Drop

I started coughing early yesterday so bought myself some cough drops. Heh, how could a cough drop hurt me, right. Wrong. Should have listened to that little voice that warned me "what you going do if it slides down your throat". Well it did to my horror but thank goodness it had sort of shrunk in size by then cause I'ld really be in trouble.

So I spent New Year's Eve sipping hot water to try and melt the cough drop. My tummy felt awful. I could feel it moving things around and I was burping away. Felt miserable, so by 7pm I was fast asleep. I woke up at midnight to the sounds of the neighbors bursting fireworks. I still felt yukky. Kissed my husband "Happy New Year" and climbed right back into bed.

This morning not feeling so hot. I've got me a full blown cold. Must have caught it through cyberspace as several of you are also nursing colds. I think cause we still healing from our surgeries our resistance is low thus we caught colds.

As for cough drops, they are a thing of the past. I am not going through the stress as I did last night again. It was hard to keep calm and not run to the emergency room. Told myself to just calm down it will melt. When in reality I wanted to run around the house screaming for help.

Just thought of this: Would I have given a baby a cough drop? No. So why did I give my baby tummy one?
Got to be more careful in the future, this could have been a major crisis.

Melissa

1 Comments:

  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    Yikes, that can be a scary thing. Good job sipping the hot liquid to melt it away. Now you know exactly how big the opening to your tummy is! Gum is another one to avoid. Someone in our group had swallowed her gum...miserable, as it doesn't melt away.

    I just got over my cold. I took diabetic Tussin and Afrin nose spray to recover. What a lousy way to bring in the new year. I hope that it passes quickly. Sip on some hot chicken broth...don't forget your protien!
    Kim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home