Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Friday, December 30, 2005

Four Weeks Post OP

It's four weeks post op and things are going fine. Quite unbelievable that the weeks have passed by and that there have been no major issues regarding the after effects of surgery. Healing quite well. 98% of stitches healed. 2% still to go. Have been phoning the nurse as I seem to have sprung a leak. Can be scary as I thought I had an infection. She told me no fever, no major redness, all is well, I am still draining. Thank goodness I was worried. Can't wait to be all healed up so that I can go swimming at the pool again.

I've been doing a whole lot better since I have started using Zero Carb Isopure to get my needed protein in. One will never realise how hard it is to get fluids in until you have to sip. I now sympathize with unburped babies. If I forget to sip, I pray for a burp to relieve that uncomfortable feeling. Was forgettting to sip so I bought a baby sippy cup and practiced with that for awhile. I do once in awhile forget to sip and gulp down a drink, then quickly regret it. No dumping yet, but an immediate yearning for a burp.

No one warned me pre-op that I would have to change my sleeping habits. I slept on my side pre-op. Post-op had to be on my back, going on my side was difficult and sore as ever. Boy, I struggled with that the first two weeks after WLS. I took the pain medicine just so that I could sleep on my side. Your stomach feels like it weighs a ton the first weeks after surgery, I guess cause it's all swollen and healing, thus sleeping on one's side is a task. Well, sometime last week I could finally sleep on my side but very carefully. Also turning from one side to the other, I have to take my time. I phoned my friend Brenda and asked her how she slept after WLS and she told me she slept sitting up for several weeks. Well, I am sleeping on my side again not 100% comfortable as there are a few twinges if I move wrong but I do get by.

I'm really happy that I purchased one ounce plastic cups to measure my food out and the pretty Japanese plates and baby spoons. They have made my meal quite easy to deal with. Presentation is important. Colorless turkey, tuna and even cottage cheese look appetizing in my pretty little dishes. When I go out to eat I take my little dishes and my baby spoon. I don't care what anyone thinks about it, this is my body, this is how I eat. Anyone have issues about it, it's their problem. I'm sure they had issues with watching me load my plate and stuff my fat face about 27 days ago. This is about me, not about them.

For breakfast I have been having scrambled or boiled eggs with a little tuna, salmon or shrimp mixed in. I have to puree my foods. If things are cooked right don't really have to puree just mash up to puree consistency. I also either have some plain yogurt or small curd cottage cheese or applesauce for breakfast.

For lunch I have maybe some leftover from breakfast or turkey, chicken, fish, tuna or salmon with a baby spoon of lowfat mayo or even make egg salad. A fruit mostly and sometimes a vegie.

For dinner, chicken prepared different ways, shrimp or fish. Vegie. I'm having an issue with beef, I picture it fermenting in my new tummy and that is enough to keep me from eating it even if I could puree a lean piece of it. I think picturing one' s new tummy as being special like a treasure chest, one will be more careful of what one puts into it.

Snacks. I peel about 5 grapes or cherries. Make sure I remove the seeds. Or small cubed watermelon, or honeydew melon.

As you see, I am eating. Measuring everything out, and still feeling satisfied. I keep remembering Kim advising me to stop grieving over food I think I won't be able to eat and enjoy what I can. I remember pre-op when three weeks prior to surgery I was literally eating gallons of ice cream and other stuff that I thought I would not be able to eat any more. It finally dawned on me that if I kept it up I'ld be too sick to have surgery and stopped. I didn't even have a last supper. I must be doing something right cause so far, no dumping, no sore tummy.

Exercise. I have been taking short walks. For two days while my husband swims at the pool, I walk around it, stopping when I get tired, rest, then walk again. I don't push myself. I thought I was superwoman and didn't need to nap. Wrong. When I don't nap my back hurts, my stomach hurts, I so tired I can barely move.
Thus, naps are a must. Need to nap, to help my body heal. Soon as these stitches heal I'll be back in the pool.

I have lost 33.7 pounds since date of WLS 12/02/05. Life is wonderful. I wish I had gotten this surgery earlier.

Melissa

3 Comments:

  • At 6:30 AM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Melissa - Congrats on your success thus far! I had actually forgotten about my issues sleeping right after surgery. I too am a side sleeper, and after reading your post, I remembered how my stomach felt exactly as you described it when I'd sleep on my side as well as how carefully I had to turn myself. I think that all went away, though, after a couple of weeks. And, your attitude regarding the use of your baby plates is fantastic! It's all about you right now, so who cares what those people think!

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    Hi Melissa,
    You are doing so wonderful with this new phase of your life.

    As for beef, I'm over two years post op and still avoid eating it. It is the hardest for your body to digest, so I avoid it. I don't miss it one bit, as there are so many other lean protien choices.

    Keep walking to develop the habit of exercise...it will pay off in the long run. Soon you will say "good-bye" to the 300 pound mark on the scale. When it reads 299, you'll jump for joy!
    Kim Stover

     
  • At 6:21 AM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    This is very cool, Melissa--sounds like you've got it going on. Good first month, and good summary. Whoever reads this in the future will have a very good idea of what to it's like. I didn't have the sleep issues that you're talking about, but I have read many others accounts who did. Valuable info.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home