Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Friday, January 06, 2006

Five Weeks Post Op

It is just so hard to believe that I am 5 weeks post op. The days have just been passing by so quickly. Each day I have been getting stronger and seem to have more energy. My stitches have healed well. I'll wait one more week before going into the pool. I still have a nasty cough but it is getting better.

I'm doing better with my protein intake . Need at least 45-60 grams of protein a day. Start the day with taking B12, Calcium Caltrate and multivitamin. Then either Diet V8 Splash Tropical Blend or Diet Oceanspray Cranberry Juice with Zero Carb Isopure powder mixed in. Gives me 50 grams of protein. Now all I got to do is eat minimum 1 0z. more of protein with each of my three meals for the rest of the day. Took me four weeks to figure out how I could get the max protein down my throat and found that it was best to do it in the morning before the day ran away from me.

Sipping, I'm getting better at it. Sip down that morning protein drink, then it's sipping water or decafe tea for the rest of the day. Sipping from a pretty glass now, out went the cheapy plastic blah cups.

I don't count carbs, though I watch what I eat, I count protein and make sure I get my quota of protein in so that I heal, become healthier, and still lose weight. I stay away from carbs such as potatoes, rice, breads. I eat chicken and turkey pot pies but don't eat the crust for example. For fiber, I eat fruit, sometimes spinach, sometimes I drink 8 oz. prune juice.

My diabetes has improved, from 5-6 insulin shots a day, I am down to one 70 units of Lantus at night. My blood pressure numbers which were in the severe hypertension range have improved, the numbers have been in the normal and a few times in the mild hypertension range. Sleep apnea gone, I am sleeping better than I have in years.

I still twinge at times when I toss in bed. Still got to turn side to side slowly. If I am overly tired and missed a nap my tummy is tender and seems to weigh a ton, that's when my back aches. So naps are still a must.

I am walking each day about 30-45 minutes, be it outside or at the mall. One more week then it'll be laps in the pool. I have lots of energy when I wake up in the morn so after the protein drink, I try to take a walk or right after breakfast when I take my husband to the pool. It's so nice to have energy to do things.

Living life is not such a chore any more. I used to struggle to get out of bed, struggle to walk, struggle to breath, had so many limitations, so many obstacles got in my way of living. Five weeks and here's a new me.
Just like some of you other WLS post ops I am starting to love myself again.

Melissa

3 Comments:

  • At 5:51 AM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    Melissa, I am so impressed with your health improvements--your diabetes results alone are reason enough to justify the surgery! Congrats. You're doing great.

    I drink the isopure powder too, never thought of mixing it with V8 splash. I tried mixing it with sf crystal lite, but it was too sweet for me.

    About your sleep apnea, how can you tell "it's gone."? I think mine is too, but I'm not sure...

    Your progress inspires me. Thanks for your excellent blog.

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    Hi Melissa,
    You are doing so great! I'm glad that you have made an effort to eat your three real meals each day. That is the key to long term success, combined with the daily exercise. Really, you are doing everything that you need to do to make this work. Just a side note, I was told that the body is only able to absorb 30 g of protein at a time. So, overloading with the Isopure in the morning may be a wasted effort. Try to break it up into two servings and you may find that you have more energy in the afternoon.
    You are a success story!
    Kim

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger Holly said…

    ha! found your blog! there never was a link i could click through on my blog, so i had to search.

    glad i found you, now i'm gonna blogroll ya!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home