Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Saturday, January 21, 2006

CLOTHES ISSUES

Main topic with my psychologist yesterday was my having a hard time giving away my big clothes. Prior to surgery I packed my old clothes in crates ranging from 5XL to clothes from high school. Told myself that as I lose weight I will give my clothes away. Yeah, right.

Well, I defintely don't fit the 5XL clothes anymore. So I pulled them out, looked at them, thought about who I giving them to and then repacked them and put them away. Yup, I still have them.

I have issues about giving them away.

My psychologist said I am having a hard time letting go of my old obese self. It's like death she said. I have to go through the process of letting go that part of my life, accept it is gone and move on. Okay, so how do I get rid of these big clothes? Give them away she said and I will go through all the feelings of letting go and I will be fine.

Okay, today I will try try try to give away my clothes without having too much trauma.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:01 AM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Melissa - I'm sure you'll be able to do it in your own time. I strugged with it at first as there were some beautiful clothes that made me feel so much better about myself when I wore them. The thing that got me to to give them away was trying them on and seeing how stupid I looked in them ... and deciding that they'd serve someone else more than they would me by just sitting in a plastic bin. Good luck!

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Holly said…

    i went through a similar situation with my 30/32. i was still wearing them until a pair of capris fell off in the grocery store parking lot.

    i came home and told my husband about it. he said "maybe you're afraid you'll need them again" that was it, i packed them up RIGHT THEN and drove them to a family friend's house that was severely obese and living in poverty and needed the clothing. so i did a good deed for myself, and for her.

    and jenn sent some of her too bigs to me, thanks jenn! *grins*

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    Hey Meliss--
    Got your sweet card today and it moved me to tears to see your own handwriting and the post mark. You're wonderful. Thank you, thank you, mahalo. I'll write more later.

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Violet said…

    I enjoyed reading what your psychologist said, it makes so much sense and I'm sure many of us have felt what you are feeling.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home