Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Friday, January 13, 2006

Six Weeks Post Op

Can't believe I am six weeks post op. I don't know how to explain this unreal feeling I have about my weight loss. Is it for real? How long will it be till I gain it all back? Should I give my big clothes away yet or should I wait in case something goes wrong? Am I really going to lose more weight? Just don't know how to explain this sureal feelings I still have. Like I'm going to wake up from this dream and I'll be my fat self again.

My friend Darcy is four years post op. She's an example of what a person who had WLS shouldn't do. Because of her I was so afraid to have this surgery. Went to visit her today and her husband told me that she is in the emergency room complaining of severe stomach pains. Then he went on to tell me how all she eats is potato chips and candy and refuses to listen. She doesn't take her vitamins or protein shakes and she doesn't make sure she gets enough protein from food. She lives on junk food. Since her surgery, Darcy has been in and out of the hospital, all due to her refusing to listen to what she needs to do. She has had to be fed by IV so many times. She has been given vitamin shots. She has been given tons of pain pills which she is addicted to, thus the trips to the emergency room for more. Well, lately they have been refusing to give her the pain pills until she sees a psychiatrist and he states the pain is real and not psychological. Today same deal. Darcy should have never had this surgery in the first place. She never did any research on it. She did not have a psych eval before doing it. And post op she did not seek any kind of support. All Darcy wanted was to be thin again, and she didn't care how she was going to do it. She makes herself vomit at times cause she's afraid she will get fat again. Well, I tried helping her through the years, doing research on the internet, visiting her and trying to get her to do the things she needed to, but to no avail. I really don't know how she is still alive. I don't know why she isn't committed in a psych ward for awhile. That is sad and awful to say, but so true. Well, I'm hoping now that I have had WLS maybe she will listen to me and we can do this together. Why am I writing all this? I'm just ventilating, Darcy literally scares the hell out of me.

Enough about Darcy. Talking about her can be depressing, but you know it's good sometimes to look at what can happen if you don't follow the steps one needs to take to be healthy afterWLS.

I'm doing okay. Getting good at sipping. Got the protein drink down pat, one scoop Isopure in Diet Cranberry juice in the morning and another one in the evening. 50 grams total. Then I eat to get the rest of the protein I need from my three meals. Still have to get more water in though. Sip,sip,sip all day long.

I now weigh 307 pounds. Thus have lost 42.7 pounds since surgery.

Must be doing something right, though I was hoping to be under 300 pounds. Need to get more exercise in though. I running around doing all kinds of errands for everyone. I need to regroup and put myself first again. Will try real hard this week to get more exercise in.





3 Comments:

  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Melissa - Congrats on your 42.7 lb loss thus far! Keep doing as well as you're doing, and it will only continue!

    It certainly is unfortunate how your friend has handled her life after WLS; I hope that she will see your good example and turn things around.

    Jenn

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    Actions speak louder than words, and you my friend, are ALL ACTION! You won't need to harp on Darcy any longer. Keep doing everything that you've been doing and she will see a real live WLS Success Story.
    Kim

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CONGRATS on your 42.7 pound loss!! that is so awesome and i am so proud of you! that is too bad about your friend.. but i am glad that her experience did not keep you from WLS. you are doing fantastic :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home