Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Taste Buds

I am finding that some foods I used to like right after WLS I no longer like. My taste buds or something must be changing. I am finding that I need to water down the Light Cranberry Juice I mix the Isopure in as it is too sweet tasting now and even the Crystal Lite tea. I used to mash up light mayo with my boiled egg and yesterday I couldn't stand it and had the egg just with pepper on it. The suger free popsicles are starting to leave an aftertaste and I don't get excited about eating them any more. What's happening?

I also today with great thirst chugalugged gulps of ice water to my horror without thinking. Weird feelings, hiccups and tons of burps later, I finally calmed down. How in the world did I forget to sip! You can't do nothing but wait to see what going happen. Thank goodness no vomiting but one hell of a scare.

Tommorrow I hope to start going back to the pool. Tried on my bathing suit that I used to stuff myself in and when it ripped I sewed and patched up several times, real pitiful looking. Black, so I probably resembled Shamu the whale in it. Well, it got tossed in the rubbish can, as I also tried on a new suit I had bought that was a little too snug before and now fits. Woooooooooopeeeeee!

Yesterday my brother called me, he's retired and babysits his grandkids. Anyway he tells me that he has been watching Dr. Phil, Oprah and some other show on people who lost lots of weight. He then talks about all the loose skin people get when they lose a lot of weight. He then asks me how my skin doing. Only a brother, right? Concern? Or is he poking fun? Should I kick his ass? Told him not to worry about my loose skin, I will take appropriate action as needed. Smile. After that I kept thinking of that poor lady on Oprah who lost so much weight her boobs went down to her waist and she literally rolled it up and put it in her bra. I won't have that problem. I have just no boobs just two small shrunken pouches, no more than a handful each, sigh. Oh well, I could have been rolling it up from my knees and appear on Oprah for the world to see. I could be making royalties from writing a book about it. Oh well, my chances of winning the lottery aren't so good either. With the fat, went my boobs.

8 Comments:

  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    Hi Melissa,
    My taste buds changed, no...let's say "evolved", as time went on. It made the first year very easy as nothing really excited me in the way of flavor. I became more of a texture person. It was during my 16th month post-op that my taste buds came back...and so did my appetite! Enjoy this glorious period while you have it!!! I lost almost all of my excess weight during those 16 months.

    As for skin, yes, there is plenty of it. I was over 350 for so long, my poor skin didn't have a chance to snap back. I've had it removed, but not all at once like those extreme makeovers. My boobs were just like that womans on Oprah...now, they're up where they're supposed to be! Getting rid of my arm skin was my favorite surgery. It was so nice to be able to slip my arm into a blouse sleeve and not take my blood pressure at the same time!

    I'm so pleased with your progress!
    Kim

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Holly said…

    my tastes change all the time. something i loved last week i won't be able to stand tomorrow. i spent an entire week eating microwave crisped pepperonis 3 times a day. now i can't even stand to look at them.

    the only crystal light i like is the plain tea.

    and skin? oh yeah. i'm going to have oprah level skin. it looks like someone put me under the broiler and i've begun to melt ever so slightly.

    gah.

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    Melissa,
    I'm getting the bat wings thing, and my stomach "apron" hangs a little, my boobs are getting droopier. I was hoping my loose skin would shrink up and disappear. But I'll tell you what: no matter how I look naked after I hit goal, at least I'll be healthy. That was truly why I did this--how I look in my thin clothes is just a bonus to me. Getting rid of the plantar faciitis and the sleep apnea is worth all the loose skin in the world.

    I love hearing that you're out there doing things that were so difficult before. Enjoy that swim!

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    tastebuds gone bonkers here too :\ and my brother asked the SAME thing too, haha... he swears that i will need and WANT plstics.. but i am not sure about that.. just like Sandi stated above, i did it for my health, for my daughter, smaller clothes is a nice bonus so right now droppiness does not concern me. way to go!

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger bye said…

    Hey there,

    Just found your blog -- funny! Rolling boobs up into a bra - only on Oprah.

    I agree with the whole tastes changing phenomena. Somehow even my lightly flavored water is too sweet and I have to water it down.

    I also had the chugging water experience, bult only once - learned that lesson. My stomach DID NOT like the shock of all that cold water.

    I'll keep checking in -- excellent blog!

    Best,

    KT

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Almost everything tasted different to me post surgery ... especially sweet things. Protein drinks I loved before surgery I could hardly swallow after, and oh, boy did cold water hurt once it hit my stomach. I, thankfully, tolerate it much better now as it's about all I drink all day!

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Kaye Bailey said…

    Hi Melissa!

    Even 6 years out my taste is still evolving. I've just recently been introduced to gourmet tea - the fancy tea and I'm loving it. But most of all I'm grateful that my "sweet tooth" never came back - I still cannot stand the smell of freshly baked sweets - and that is a very good thing because sweet baked goods is how I got fat.

    Keep up the good work & good blog!

    Kaye

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website. I'm hoping to
    view the same high-grade blog posts from you later on as well.
    In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get
    my very own blog now ;)

    My webpage ... cccam cline reshare

     

Post a Comment

<< Home