Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Sunday, January 29, 2006

8 Weeks Post Op

Time passing by okay. Still have my fat clothes. Issues over here. Next step is to put those 5xl clothes on as suggested and to stand in front of a mirror and look at what I look like in them. Holly's husband's comment, to her when she was having giving clothes away issues: "Are you keeping them for when you can wear them again" or something like that, makes me think real hard too. Will try again this week to part with them.

Date of surgery: 349.7 pounds
Weigh In 1/28/06: 300 pounds
Minus : 49.7 pounds

More people are noticing that I am losing weight. The comments are increasing especially about my thinning
face. I love it. I haven't bought any new clothes, I just go through my clothes and find something I haven't worn for years. No joke years, and some of that stuff is fashionable now thanks to the babyboomers. All I have to add is my big dangling earrrings and I am in fashion. I do ask my husband if I look like a fat person stuffed in tight clothes before leaving the house, I definitely do not want that look. I have absolutely no butt so my jeans are very very baggy in that area. I did buy a new bra, using Oprah's suggestions and the girls are now where they supposed to be.

Eating is okay. I have found several ways of eating chicken that are tolerable and I look forward to eating it. I cut back on eating so much fish as I worry about absorbing too much mercury, now just two times a week. I can eat lean pork if it's moist and not hard. Cooked vegies are fine. Fruit without the skin I can tolerate, I haven't tried an orange yet, been afraid to since my friend who had WLS dumped on it, something about the white stringy thing. When I'm hungry between meals, I have a boiled egg or fruit.

Yesterday went to a Chinese Restaurant with my cousin and her adult kids. Eat all you like buffet that I used love. Used to make 3 to 4 trips through the buffet line and then go home and nap. Well, I was overwhelmed by their plates. Kept telling myself, I couldn't believe that I used to eat like them. Looked around the restaurant and saw fat people eating and eating and eating. My goodness that used to be me. I ordered from the menu, shrimp eggplant in black bean sauce, had them hold the rice. Took four pieces of pineapple from my cousin's plate and that was my lunch. I got left over shrimp eggplant in my frigerator, enough for two more meals. The owner kept looking at me, smiling. Must have been thinking, " I save money, she not eating me out of house and hold today."

You know when Hawaiians go to a buffet to eat, they eat. My neices and nephews wiped out the buffet and then waited for the buffet to be refilled several times. My niece when done had five empty plates stacked in front of her and a mountain of shrimp shells on a sixth plate. Their plan after eating was to go home sleep.

All in all it was an eye opening experience and an opportune time to reflect on my past eating habits. I was sort of sitting there in amazement as I watched the food on my relatives plates being literally devoured. They kept asking me, "that's all you going eat?" but did not push me to eat anything more. I am so happy that I don't eat like that anymore. Was hard to hold a steady conversation while people are stuffing their faces so I did most of the talking and they just nodded and remarked here and there. I tried my best not to picture pigs eating at a trough cause that's how I used to eat, like there is no tomorrow, like it is my last meal on earth,
likeI got to store for the days of famine.

I am no longer a buffet junky. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw! I know all the best places to eat. I know who serves generously and for good price. Besides McDonalds we have drivein's that serve generous plate lunches with two scoops rice and salad as part of the meal. No wonder so many overweight people in Hawaii. Hawaii McDonald's serve breakfast plate lunches : two scrambled eggs, big scoop rice with spam or bacon or sausage for about $4. You know those Hawaiian posters you see with those skinny hula girls, well I do not know where they found those skinny hula girls, they either pre-puberty or anorexic cause the ones not in the posters all got nice curvy hips and supple bodies.

Now when I go out to eat, my husband orders quickly and me I sit pouring over the menu, looking, looking and looking and thinking and thinking, and can not decide what is the healthiest for me to eat. Usually I end up with a chicken or shrimp dish that I end up taking home after a few bites. I love it. No way am I going to be fat again. What amazes me is that I am not bothered by all the food around me and I literally have no cravings for them. Well, the surgery was not a piece of cake and I sure as hell did not go through all that for nothing. And of course I like being so much healthier and thinner.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    I'm so pleased to hear that you're doing so well. And guess what? This time next week, you'll be under 300!!!! Shout it from the rooftop, okay? I want to hear you here in California.

    Funny about the buffet junkie comment. I found a journal that I was keeping prior to my surgery. I had made a list of things that I would and wouldn't miss if I went through with the surgery. First thing on the list of things that I WOULD miss was: Eating at the buffet with friends until I couldn't eat another bite. First thing on the list of things that I WOULDN'T miss was: The feeling that I have AFTER eating at the buffet with my friends.
    Keep up the great work and I'm glad that the girls are up where they should be!

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Holly said…

    i still love going to buffet, but for a different reason. i like to get a plate full of "bites" and if i don't like something i just go find something else to try. it really helped in the beginning because i was afraid to order something off the menu and be locked in in case it didn't agree with me.

    but you're right.. eating with people who REALLY mean to eat is somewhat shocking. when i see other people and what they are capable of eating i am often shocked. i know i used to be right along with them. same thing for christmas/thanksgiving.. i saw my family eat what looked like to me IMPOSSIBLE amounts of food... just amazing.

    you're doing great!

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOO-HOOOOOOOO!! a loss of 49 pounds is awesome! i love oranges.. i peel them and chew them and suck the juice and spit out the rest.. i tried to eat it all once and it was too heavy on my pouch, but the natural OJ was oo so yummy :)

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger Kim S. said…

    Forgot to mention...regarding fresh oranges...I don't tolerate them at all! I ate an orange for the first time last month and dumped from it. Grapefruit is fine for me. I buy the segments that are in a jar in the cooler section of the produce department. All of the membranes are removed and they are packed in their own juice, no sugar added. That is a nice treat for me. Just an FYI.
    Kim

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger Kaye Bailey said…

    Great Job Melissa!!!! You make me proud and you make me laugh!

    ALOHA!

    Kaye

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    I love this entry. I've been scared to go to a buffet because of exactly what you describe: having to watch the others overeat on purpose. And scared that there won't be one friggin' thing that I can have--wasting money, drawing attention to myself. Feeling out of place.

    HOW SILLY! You were brilliant to just order off of the menu! Geez, how common sense is that!

    I had Chinese food the other night and a mushroom got stuck, for like 2 hours. NOT FUN. I didn't end up keeping any of that meal...

    Reading your thoughts as you watched the others makes me wonder how many times my "normal weight" family thought the same things about me when we would go out to eat?

    All the fast food I used to eat? I buy fresh flowers now instead...

    Great post, Melissa

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Hope you're doing ok, Melissa! Please post if you can just to let us know.

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Kaye Bailey said…

    I know you're out there Melissa! How about an update!

    xoxox
    Kaye

     

Post a Comment

<< Home