Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Posting Problems

Because I am on a wireless connection it has been difficult to post as the connection is poor. Very frustrating. I miss posting and reading blogs and checking out LAWLS. But I got to make do until we figure out our finances in a month or two after this move to San Antonio. So far I love the gas prices and food prices, they are definitely lower than Hawaii's. I miss Hawaii alot but I am enjoying the daily adventures as I drive out and around. Life is so exciting as I explore.

I am doing okay WLS wise. Doing my best getting in the protein and water. Being able to get fresh fruits is also a plus. No more frozen blueberries for me. I just stand in the vegie/fruit section of the supermarket like a kid in a candy store. I love it. I have been cooking great meals for my hubby and daughter and can just watch them eat and not want a bite of something that is a no no. I just don't want to jeopardize my health.

We got a new primary doctor. I chose her as she is holisic and prescribes meds as the last resort. My last doctor gave me meds for my meds, and I am not going there again. I haven't met her yet, but I am hoping that things work out. I didn't want the military to chose my doc, but if she doesn't work out I can try another one. She so close to the house, I hope it works.

I found some plants to remind me of Hawaii. Gardenias and hibiscus. I will baby them and gradually move them into bigger pots then in the ground. I saw some avacado, guava, and orange trees that I may try to plant later. Also some plumeria, which I just have to have in my yard. Slowly I'll have my tropical garden. I need some color in my yard.

That's what I miss is color. In Hawaii you walk in the store and there's bright colors everywhere. Here not the same, even the pinata's not as colorful. People don't wear bright colors. I got tired of being spoken to in spanish so yesterday, out came one of my bright pareau's, wrap arounds and that's how I went to the supermarket. Not one person spoke to me in spanish, it was nice to be just me. Nothing wrong with being Hispanic, but I felt like I was losing my identity, and some people even if I tell them I don't understand them, they still insist in speaking to me in spanish. I understand that I can be mistaken for Hispanic and I don't have a problem with that, it was just that I wanted to be me Hawaiian. I guess every once in awhile out will come my pareau so I won't lose myself in the world outside the house.

I got a real kick at the International Market where the Korean clerk could speak fluent Korean and Spanish but could barely understand me speaking English. Anyways some people who I explained that I was not Hispanic and was Hawaiian, got excited that I was from Hawaii and asks me all about Hawaii and then the question "Why did you leave Hawaii, to come to Texas?'
Anway all in all I have been meeting very nice and friendly people and each day I am feeling more and more comfortable. But once in awhile the pareau have to come out so I can be who I am for a day.

Drove my daughter to the airport last night, I will miss her. My oldest son and his wife were to join us soon but talking ahout December. So hubby and I are alone in San Antonio, which kind of a plus cause we get to be adventurous alone. I get to set things up in the house the way I want before all the friendly advice arrives. New house, new life. I can handle this.

Hugs to anyone reading this.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home