Big Grandma Not Big Any More

Monday, May 29, 2006

you not my grandma

Arrived yesterday evening in Las Vegas. So happy to be with my oldest son, his wife and five grandkids. So sad to have left Hawaii. I need to have my head checked for leaving. It was traumatic driving to the airport, passing the beach front, coconut trees, the mountain in the distance, all the trees and flowers. I know all the reasons why we left but leaving was so hard and then to be at the airport in Oakland so dirty and full of people all stressed out from traveling, I was ready to catch the plane back to Hawaii.
My grandkids jumped all over my husband, as for me I was stared at and comments were made of my weight loss and how good I looked. But the reaction of my grandkids was hard to bear. This morning at breakfast my 5 year old grandson whispered to his mom "That's not grandma. She not my grandma. She don't look like my grandma." I overheard him and my heart just hurt. She explained that it was me. I then explained, reminded my grandkids of when I was very sick, and how I couldn't do anything, and we talked about my losing weight and that I would lose more weight. My 5 year old grandson, "Then no one will make fun of you anymore about being fat, grandma". Out of the mouth of babes, hah.
Kim and I discussed this several months ago, what the reaction of my grandkids may be upon seeing me after a year, as I have been to ill to travel prior to surgery. She warned me that they may react differently towards me. Well, they did and are. Thank goodness we will be here in Vegas for at least 2 weeks, I have time to reaquaint myself with my grandkids.
Hah, Big Grandma Not Big Any More.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Jenn said…

    My youngest niece had a similar reaction when I first saw her, but she quickly got over it. I hope the rest of your trip goes well!

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are still big hearted and that is all that matters! They will get used to you again and you will have the energy to go running after them. You are doing so well, but I was thinking of you flying out and knew that you would be so homesick while still there. You can always go back and visit. It will still be there for you as we at LAWLS always are!

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Sandi Hooper said…

    I can relate Melissa, I can relate. Having the kids in shock is very hard to take. You think that everyone will just automatically fall for you because you are so much improved, but kids won't just go for change. It freaks 'em out. My grown sons will hardly speak of me as looking better, just different. We watched old home movies today and I realized for the first time how big I really was all the years of their lives. It must be quite a shock for them.

    When they see how much more fun you are now, they will come around though. And now you get to be with them.

    As for missing Hawaii, don't expect to get over that soon. Just keep doing what you're doing and looking ahead. That's all we can do when our grief for a thing is too big--just keep looking forward to the next adventure...

     
  • At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It won't take those grandkids long to find their grandma. The tradeoff for the beautiful beaches for frequent visits with the grandkids is a no brainer. Here's hoping you adjust and they adjust and you find your happiness.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home